Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Nadelwelt Karlsruhe 2016

Seeing soooo many beautiful quilts and works of textile art is the most inspiring way. But a brain can only take in as much as it can and after a few hours it doesn´t register the colors, techniques and fabrics anymore. So an acceptable daily dose is recommendable or you go home not remebering anymore. 

Unless you took hundreds of pictures....... I did take some pictures but some quilts really stayed my mind and also the artists and quilters who made them. The pictures below are only a very small number of all the exhibited quilts and works, but they are all my favourites.

From the gallery I took some overview pictures to get you an idea about this exhibition.
Nadelwelt Karlsruhe 2016

Nadelwelt Karlsruhe 2016

Nadelwelt Karlsruhe 2016
 

New to me was Martine Apaolaza, her embroidered landscapes, farm houses, the streets and shops of Paris or any other French city - BEAUTIFUL, amazing and astonishing. In her works I encountered nano-stitches, the tiniest stitches possible, indicating a birds legs or beaks, something in the far distances but still recognizable. You can read more about her works on her homepage


Martine Apaolaza

 
Martine Apaolaza


Martine Apaolaza

There were mini quilts from the 20 years Patchwork magazine competition, fresh and funny.

Klothilde Wohlsperger - Schatz des Lebens

Marion Laschober - Immer wiederkehrende Freuden

A stark contrast to the mini quilts were the black-multicolored New York Beauty Stars from Jacqueline de Jonge - I watched many visitors standing in front of her works, in awe and completely fascinated. It´s totally different to see a quilt in a book or online tutorial or in reality.


Jacqueline de Jonge

Jacqueline de Jonge

Jacqueline de Jonge

Jacqueline de Jonge

Jacqueline de Jonge

Jacqueline de Jonge


The same goes for the Zen Chic quilts of Brigitte Heitland, an German educated textile designer, working internationally for Moda Fabrics, living in the United States. Each year she launches two new quilt fabric collections and in addition she runs her own company for quilt patterns, ZEN CHIC - fabrics that I adore and treasure.

Brigitte Heitland

Brigitte Heitland

Brigitte Heitland

Brigitte Heitland

Brigitte Heitland


Really sweet and cute but kind of mischievous were the quilts from Patti Hempen - I will definitely try to do motives like that for a baby quilt.

Patti Hempen - Polka Dotties

Patti Hempen - Suddenly Seymour

Patti Hempen - Suddenly Seymour, detail


Some of Germany´s quilts from the 2015 World Quilt Competition XIX were exhibited, from different categories but all beautiful, expertly sewn and quilted. Here are some but I forgot to dot the quilters names down, because my brain was already full by that time and I simply forgot to do that....... so sorry! But they all have my adoration for their quilts!

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX

2015 World Quilt Competition XIX


I was so pleased to finally meet Rita Schaffer, a well known quilter from Vorarlberg. I saw her quilts last year in Prague and I´ve been intrigued by them. To my surprise she exhibited totally different quilts here in Karlsruhe, small, all containing blue and bright red-orange, simple but very effectful works.

Rita Schaffer

Rita Schaffer - Wintersonne
Rita Schaffer - Vollmond
Rita Schaffer - Löwenzahn

Rita Schaffer - Architektur


On the second day I got the chance to have a small talk with Pippa Moss early in the morning. She´s an American quilter and artist but living in England for 16 years by now. She was also new to me but I will definitely follow her work. She patiently explained to me how she starts, continues and finishes such a quilt - Hawaiian applique, tradtional patterns, big and bold, all hand quilted, looking so complicated and yet when she spoke about how she does them it suddenly seemed so simple. I will give it a try, of course on a mini quilt first.

Pippa Moss at work

Pippa Moss at work

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss

Pippa Moss - quilt in progress


Another very nice German quilter/artist was Tina Mast. I really liked her works, each different from the other, various techniques but all with expertise quilting.

Tina Mast
Tina Mast

Tina Mast - Traumcollage

Tina Mast - Traumcollage


And last but not least the third German artist/quilter: Angela Rudolph - when I saw her quilts with all the longarm-quilting it made me think not only once but a couple of times: when I grow up, I want to do something like this longarm-quilting....

Angela Rudolph - Feathered Blooms

Angela Rudolph - Rose

Angela Rudolph - Rose

Angela Rudolph - Inspiration

Angela Rudolph - Fossil

Angela Rudolph - Play with Squares

Angela Rudolph - Play with Squares

Angela Rudolph - Play with Squares


One of my friends really likes the works of Jana Sterbova - I like to look at textile art like that but I know that I will never make one like it. But here´s one that I really liked, one about my favourite city.


Jana Sterbova - New York


And, to finish this post: Patchworkgruppe Karlsruhe, the local guild with the challenge "Strukturen". Again, quilts like that I will never attempt to make but here are some that I really liked.

Petra Becker - ohne Titel

Heike Thurecht-Funk - Strukturen 2016

Angelika Werner -  Schlaufen

Susanne Dopf - Caffé Latte

Angelika Werner - Märchenwald

Really, all these pictures are only but a very small part of all the exhibited quilts and textile arts - to show them all is impossible, as well as to remember them all. But to meet some of the quilters/artists in person makes it worthwile coming to Karlsruhe. I´ll be there next year again, beginning of May and maybe (if I get to finish it) one of my quilts will hang there.


No comments:

Post a Comment