Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Grey T-shirts, grey weather: but not all is grey

Last week my Mum gave me pillow. She made it herself out of an old T-shirt of mine. She used the front with a spring motif and the back of it and I just love this soft "recycled" pillow. She also handed me back the rest of the T-shirt, the sleeves. With them I made some hexagon pin-cushions that I have seen in an edition of "Love Patchwork and Quilting". Happy scrapping!

The magazine came with a package of mini-hexagons. I pinned them onto soft loden and cut them.


I glued the hexies with a tiny spot of Aqua glue marker on to T-shirt srap squares and sewed diagonal lines across the hexagons. But before doing that I put another scrap of fabric beneath it to give the elastic T-shirt fabric better stability.







The sewing lines did not always go exactly accross the points, but the heck, I had so much fun, quilting small pieces without my sewing machine giving me trouble with that. After the quilting I cut them into neat squares, sewed them with a backing fabric (scraps from an old apron), stuffed them with soft fibre balls through a hole that I left open. After stuffing I closed the hole with hand stitches.





I had so much fun making the mini-hexie-pin-cushions that the grey weather outside did not bother me at all, quite the contrary!!

3 comments:

  1. Great applicability of an old T-Shirt. The cushions will not only serve use but also embellish your room! I will probably borrow your wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete